Telford’s outdoor gyms can help to improve your health – all without having to pay to go to the local gym. But how do you use them and where are they?
By Mandy Sznober and Tina Brasenell
Across Telford there are a number of community outdoor gyms that are free and easy to use. They are great places to achieve your fitness goals whilst enjoying the fresh air. Why not meet up with a friend, head to one of these outdoor gyms and work out while catching up?
The equipment is simple to use. But to help out, myself, Tina from the Healthy Lifestyle team, and members of the community, have put together some helpful videos to help you get started.
Why use Telford outdoor gyms?
- Increase energy levels – Moving more helps us to feel full of energy and awake.
- Feel good – Physical activity releases endorphins which improve your mood. Endorphins will help you feel good about yourself and develop a positive can do attitude.
- Flexibility – Improve your joint flexibility and developing stronger muscles.
- Improve your cardiovascular system – Strengthen your heart and body circulation.
- Reduce blood pressure – Reducing blood pressure reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Weight loss – We are recommended to complete 150 minutes of brisk exercise a week. This can be broken down in to 30 minutes over 5 days with 1 rest day.
- Reduce body fat – To get into your fat burning zone it is all about posture and speed control. You should feel slightly out of breath but still able to hold a conversation (this is why it is good to go with a friend) and slightly clammy. If you are out of breath and sweaty you are going too fast, SLOW DOWN!
30 minutes workout Recommendations:
- 5 minutes brisk walk to the gym area – this is your warm up to prepare the body for the activity
- 5 minutes on each piece of gym equipment
- Cool down is a gentle walk home to allow your body to recover
On each piece of equipment there is an information plaque which has safety and recommendation of activity levels – please see these for your personal workout.
How to use Telford outdoor gym equipment:
The Horse Rider
Where you can find an Outdoor Gym in Telford:
- Victoria Park Newport
- Overdale Playing Field
- Hartshill Park
- Bowring Park
- Dawley Park
- Marshbrook Way
- Princess Royal Hospital
- Wolverhampton University in Priorslee
- Redgra Play Area, Brookside
- Admanston House Community Centre
- Marshbrook Way
- Little Wenlock
- Before using any piece of equipment – check of any damage. Should you find a damaged piece of equipment please report this to Telford and Wrekin Council.
- When mounting the equipment always hold on with two hands and step on slowly.
- When on equipment and in motion hold on with two hands to reduce the risk of falls.
- When dismounting the equipment slow your movement until you come to a stop. Then, still holding on with two hands, carefully step down on foot at a time.
- Should you suffer discomfort, slow your movement to a stop and dismount. If discomfort continues seek medical advice.
- Should you experience chest pains while using the equipment, slow your movements to a stop, dismount and call 999.
We hope this has been helpful and that you enjoy using these fantastic outdoor gyms, we would love to hear your stories.
Let us know in the comments below or send us your photos to us on Twitter @HealthyTF.
Contact us if you their is an outdoor gym you know of that needs adding to the list